Beyonce‘s father, Mathew Knowles, has said being light-skinned helped Beyonce’s career.
The track which is presently making waves all over the world is on her new album titled “The Lion King: The Gift” and it is meant to encourage dark-skinned humans to accept their melanin skin.
This is what Mathew had to say,
In the music industry there’s still segregation. Programmers, especially at pop radio, [have] this imagery of what beauty looks like. They wanted that imagery to be the same as singing those records
If you look back even at Whitney Houston, if you look at those photos, how they lightened her to make her look lighter-complexioned.
Because there’s a perception and a colorism: the lighter that you are, the smarter and more economically [advantaged].. There’s a perception all around the world about color — even with black folks, there’s a perception.
He added that being dark did not help promote Kelly Rowland in America, he said,
And I use Kelly Rowland as an example. She’s a great example. But you know, the great thing is, Kelly did exceptional outside of America, especially in Australia. Kelly sold over 4 million records. She just got off-script.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Seyi Shay & Yemi Alade – Pempe
- Ice Prince – Kolo ft Oxlade [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Coming ft Busiswa
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]
- Tekno & Mafikizolo – Enjoy (Remix)
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Mani LaPussh – xClusive