He revealed this during a recent breakfast programme on Channels TV.
According to him, governors are doing their best with the limited funds at their disposal so they should be praised for their hard work.
He added that governors are the most suspected elected officials, so it is always very hard to have a positive image before the people.
His words, “We came into office at a very bad time in terms of economic viability,”
“We came in when oil prices were crashing into the twenties and we had inherited bureaucracies that were designed and structured around $100 per barrel oil.
“We had inherited wages at that level as well. And all of a sudden, there was this collapse and Nigeria went into a recession.”
“Governors are the most suspected elected officials,”
“Everyone thinks governors are just thieves and we are wasting state resources, we are not doing anything.
“Governors are assumed to be taking security votes. When people hear security votes, they think it is a slush fund for governors. So we have a very negative image out there.
“Meanwhile, we have one of the most difficult jobs in the world. And we are sub-national; our capacity to borrow is limited. The federal government can print money. We cannot.
“Other than Lagos, very few state governments have room to do what they can do because apart from Lagos, virtually every state in Nigeria relies on federation account transfers. And when they go down, you are in trouble.”
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Dj Kamol – Crazy Gyration ft Skailey Normal [AuDio]
- Patoranking – I’m In Love [AuDio]
- Olamide & Phyno – Ladi ft Lil Kesh [AuDio]
- 2Baba – Opo ft Wizkid [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- DJ Baddo – Best Of Fireboy Mix 2020
- Johnny Drille & LadiPoe – Hold On [AuDio]
- Dj Baddo – Best of Mr Eazi and Tekno [MixTape]
- TripleMG – Osho ft Iyanya & Tekno [AuDio]
- Ginger Breadman – School Of The Hard Knock [AuDio]