The biggest annual music award, The Grammys in its 57th edition, went down on Sunday, February 9, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California and what’s connecting it to Nigeria is that, A Nigerian won for the first time!
Nigerian, Kelvin Olusola, went home with the award for Best Arrangement, Instrumental Or Acapella.
Kelvin picked up an award alongside his acapella band, Pentatonix taking home the award in the ‘Arrangement, Instrumental or acappella’ category for their medley ‘Daft Punk’, a remake of Daft Punk’s �Get Lucky.
Here are few things you need to know about the record breaker, Kelvin Olusola:
Born in the United States to Nigerian father and Grenadian mother, Kelvin is a 26 year old beatboxer.
He is a graduate of prestigious IVY League college, Yale University from where he graduated in 2011 with a degree in East Asian Studies.
Kelvin is not just a musician, he’s super smart too. He also plays the cello, piano and saxophone.
He also speaks fluent Chinese & Spanish.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Seyi Shay & Yemi Alade – Pempe
- Mani LaPussh – xClusive
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Ice Prince – Kolo ft Oxlade [AuDio]
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Coming ft Busiswa
- KCEE – Ogadinma [AuDio]