According to Gbemi, a popular radio personality on 99.9 The Beat FM Lagos, NBC has instructed them not to play 2 of the most popular songs of the past year, Maleek Berry The Matter and Phyno’s Man Of The Year.
Reasons why this instruction was passed down is not 100% clear but it seems like it has to do with the content of the songs.
It won’t be the first time, a very popular song has been banned from radio airplay or video airplay.
Femi Kuti’s award winning Bang Bang Bang was banned in Nigeria, as well as D’banj’s Suddenly, D’Prince’s Take Banana, Wande Coal’s Go Low video and a host of others have seen the ax of NBC.
Sooner or later there will have to be some compromise and maybe more uncensored versions of hit songs with “questionable” lyrics or content.
As of right now though, we’ll await official word from NBC as to what the confirmed instructions are.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Mr P & Tiwa Savage – I Do [AuDio]
- Rema – Ginger Me [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Crayon – Jackpot ft Bella Shmurda
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]
- Wizkid & Akon – Escape [AuDio]
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Burna Boy – Trap Symphony [AuDio]