Yesterday a video of a lady doctors removed live maggots from her vagina went viral. According to Worldstar, the lady had unprotected sex and caught the new STD, stressing the need for guys to always wear a condom.
Guess what, that’s not the true story behind that video. The woman in the video was infected with maggots after childbirth at a hospital, not after an unprotected sex.
Due to a gross medical negligence at a government hospital in India, the gauze used to stop bleeding after delivery was left inside the 22 years old woman by doctors. The gauze ‘decayed’ inside her, caused a serious infection which resulted in the flesh-eating maggots infestation.
22-year-old, Reshma Kumar (name changed to protect her privacy), 10 days after giving birth to a baby at a government hospital, found flesh-eating maggots crawling down her legs. Alarmed at her shocking physical state, Reshmaâ€™s husband, Shamlal (name changed), immediately took her to a hospital in Hadapsar.
After examining her, the doctor revealed that a large wad of gauze, used to stop bleeding, had been left inside her vagina after giving birth.
Recounting her experience, Reshma said:
“It was very painful. Initially, we thought it was normal to feel sore, but when I saw maggots, we were alarmed and went to the doctor straight away. The reason we did not file a complaint of medical negligence is because we are from a different state and I donâ€™t even know any language other than Oriya. My husband does not have enough time and resources to fight the case,â€ť said Reshma.
So, cos any delay would have made the wound even worse and there were high chances of her contracting septicemia, doctors immediately removed the gauze swab, maggots and gave her antibiotics.