Poor women have been exploited at their most vulnerable time by a hospital that charged them $5 every time they screamed during child birth.
The shocking discovery was made by a U.S. group that campaigns against corruption, as it released its annual Global Corruption Barometer.
At the hospital in Zimbabwe, one of the poorest countries in the world, the fine was said to be for ‘raising a false alarm’, according to Transparency International.
Many mothers already avoid hospital deliveries in the African nation because of the $50 cost, which is about the third of the average $150 income.
In a country where nearly 95 per cent of the population is unemployed after years of economic turmoil and corruption under President Mugabe, and where one in eight women die in childbirth every day, the fines could rob a woman of a year’s salary.
A survey of Zimbabweans found 65 per cent believed the country’s medical services to be corrupt.
When Transparency International contacted Zimbabwe’s deputy prime minister, he ordered an investigation and since then no further reports of fines have been made. However, the $50 delivery charge remains.
The campaign group has now set up workshops in Zimbabwe to raise awareness about corruption and show citizens how to record officials demanding bribes so they can provide evidence to the courts.
Culled from UK Daily Mail
- Simi – Duduke [AuDio]
- 2Baba – Opo ft Wizkid [AuDio]
- DJ Tunez – Pami ft Wizkid, Adekunle Gold & Omah Lay
- Burna Boy – RockStar (Reggae version) [AuDio]
- DJ Kaywise – What Type Of Dance ft Mayorkun, Naira Marley & Zlatan
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- Dj Baddo – Best of Mr Eazi and Tekno [MixTape]
- Phyno – Good Die Young [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- DJ Maphorisa & Wizkid – Good Love [ViDeo]