I am aware of the fact that some companies make it a written rule that their employees aren’t allowed to date each other and in some cases, one party has to resign if both get married. However, some organisations allow it and don’t frown at the idea.
The big question though, is that does it work? Should you do it? How does it affect you negatively or positively?
Let’s have a quick discussion about that.
My friend Dammy would say, “emotions is a bitch” that is, when you are in love with someone, your judgement about everything changes and that person becomes the center of your world and when he/she leaves, it affects you so much. It affects your whole being.
Now, you don’t have to be working in the same place for your work to be affected when you’re heartbroken but if you date someone who works in your office it becomes harder.
Office romances can be fun, I have had one in the past during my service year and it made my then boring job, worth looking forward to.
I looked forward to the guy I liked, we sneaked in and out of our individual offices and shared kisses and small gists. It was fun, it was exhilarating and an amazing moment.
However, we stopped it before it got really serious because I knew he wasn’t what I exactly wanted and he wasn’t ready for what I was at the time.
The big question about office romances/relationships, is how exactly do you manage them?
Let’s talk about the disadvantages and advantages and see if it works.
1. The ‘whole world’ knows your business – let’s face it, we aren’t likely to tell the whole office our partner’s name or our relationship status on a normal day but somehow they would all know if we hook up with that guy/girl at work.
No matter how discreet you both try to be, they would certainly know and since offices get pretty boring, the news would fly around soon enough and everyone would be all up in your business somehow.
It even gets funny when your boss teases you about your boo while at work, that can get pretty awkward don’t you think?
2. Emotions get in the way – if you are a jealous partner or protective person, you are likely to find it annoying when someone else at work is all over your spouse. For them it might be harmless, but for you it might be crossing a particular boundary. If you both don’t work in the same office you aren’t likely to know who hugs your boo all day and you aren’t likely going to bother.
3. Fights can ensue – you are an adult and you take issues like one but when a situation arises at work, you might have a hard time not acting out/up
4. Distractions – no matter what, your boo being in the next room from you would sometimes distract you from work.
5. Sometimes you just need a break – sometimes you just don’t want to run into your partner every time during the day. Especially since you would always see during the weekends or something. Sometimes all you just want to do is miss them!
1. It’s easier – nothing is easier than knowing your partner is just some seconds away from you and that he/she is doing just fine. It saves you the bbm chat which is distracting anyway or the lunch time phone calls. You don’t even have to hang out for lunch in some faraway place, I mean she’s in that building with you.
2. Makes bonding stronger – you can bond easily in this situation. The kisses you sneak when nobody is looking or the hugs you give when you both meet just when nobody knows can be exciting and so much fun. You can even narrate each other’s problems at work without having to go out of your way to explain. I mean, he/she works there yeah?
3. You don’t have to miss them – your man or woman is some seconds away, when you feel that very strong need to see them, you can just pop in and say hi during work. You don’t have to look forward to days after then.
4. A sure shoulder – whenever there’s a problem at work, there’s a sure shoulder to lean on. No need having to plead with Mr A or Miss B to help. The boo is certainly going to be there.
5. It makes work more fun – if I had to meet my boo everyday at work, who cares about how boring the office is? It makes everything a whole lot easier!