The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP has urged the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, to release Senator Shehu Sani immediately.
SERAP accused the anti-graft agency of violating both the national and international law when Shehu was arrested on the 31 of December 2019, for alleged extortion of $20,000 (N7.2m), from the owner of ASD Motors.
According to the group, prolonging Sani’s detention without charge or trial is a disrespect to the law in the country.
They added that he should be released on bail pending the conclusion of any investigation.
SERAP wrote, “The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) should immediately release activist, Senator Shehu Sani detained on allegations of extortion or charge him with a recognizable criminal offence.
“By prolonging his detention without charge or trial, Mr Sani is being treated like a convicted criminal, in violation of national and international law.
“The continued detention of Mr Sani without charge is against the principle of being innocent until proven guilty.
“Nigeria is a state party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Article 9 of the ICCPR states that “anyone who is arrested shall be brought promptly before a judge or other officer authorized by law to exercise judicial power.”
“There are similar provisions in the Nigerian Constitution 1999 (as amended). The EFCC should promptly investigate any allegations against Mr Sani and release him on bail pending the conclusion of any such investigation.”
- DJ Baddo – Best Of Fireboy Mix 2020
- Dj Lahboceery – Abena Mix
- Dj Lahboceery – South Africa & Nigeria NonStop Mix
- Dj Lahboceery – Megamix Vol.2
- Overall – Iyawo Mi [AuDio]
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Omah Lay – Confession [AuDio]
- King Perryy – Waist ft Kizz Daniel [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Danny Boy – Come Over [AuDio + ViDeo]
- WurlD – Chop N Pray [AuDio]
- Tekno – Enjoy [AuDio]