Femi Kuti, son of the late Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, in a chat with PMNews has said the family would not accept any centenary award in their father’s honour.
Femi noted that the Federal Government should first apologise for killing his
grandmother, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, and burning of Kalakuta Republic.
�We have not heard such but I can speak for myself, FG should first apologise for the killing of our grandmother and the burning of Kalakuta,” he said.
Asked if the family would accept the award if the government apologised for the two wrongs mentioned,
Femi said he doubts if the family would accept the award.
�Like I said we have not heard anything from the Federal Government. But I doubt if the family will accept the
For more than two decades Fela sang and protested
against anti-people policies of the government. And
according to a statement released by the Presidential
Committee on Nigeria’s Centenary Celebrations, the FG will
honour Fela Anikulapo Kuti alongside 99 distinguished
personalities, either alive or dead, who eminently
symbolise the tapestry of Nigeria’s first centenary.
Fela falls under the ‘Internationally Acclaimed Artistes,
Literary Icons and Journalists’ category. The award
ceremony is scheduled to hold at the Banquet Hall, State
House, Abuja, on 28 February.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- TripleMG – Osho ft Iyanya & Tekno [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- ClassiQ – Matsashi [AuDio]
- Phyno – Good Die Young [AuDio]
- DJ Tunez – Pami ft Wizkid, Adekunle Gold & Omah Lay
- Olamide & Phyno – Ladi ft Lil Kesh [AuDio]
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- Simi – Duduke [AuDio]
- Dj Baddo – Foreign [MixTape]