Femi Kuti, son of the late Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, in a chat with PMNews has said the family would not accept any centenary award in their father’s honour.
Femi noted that the Federal Government should first apologise for killing his grandmother, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, and burning of Kalakuta Republic.
“We have not heard such but I can speak for myself, FG should first apologise for the killing of our grandmother and the burning of Kalakuta”, he said.
Asked if the family would accept the award if the government apologised for the two wrongs mentioned, Femi said he doubts if the family would accept the award.
Like I said we have not heard anything from the Federal Government. But I doubt if the family will accept the award.
For more than two decades Fela sang and protested against anti-people policies of the government. And according to a statement released by the Presidential Committee on Nigeria’s Centenary Celebrations, the FG will honour Fela Anikulapo Kuti alongside 99 distinguished personalities, either alive or dead, who eminently symbolise the tapestry of Nigeria’s first centenary.
Fela falls under the ‘Internationally Acclaimed Artistes, Literary Icons and Journalists’ category. The award ceremony is scheduled to hold at the Banquet Hall, State House, Abuja, on 28 February.
- DJ STiphBami – Beats and Juice (BJ 2021)
- Maleek Berry – Peru (Cover)
- Larry Gaaga – Egedege ft Pete Edochie, Theresa Onuorah, Flavour & Phyno [ViDeo]
- Qdot – Gbeja ft Wasiu Alabi Pasuma
- Alternate Sound & Dj Big N – Afro Jam Session 2021 [MixTape]
- DJ 4kerty – Focus Mixtape
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Erigga – Wickedness
- Ladipoe – Running ft Fireboy DML
- Reekado Banks – Ozumba Mbadiwe
- Oritse Femi – October 20th
- Larry Gaaga, Theresa Onuorah, Flavour & Phyno – Egedege