He recently revealed this during an interview with Abidemi Dario on Channels Television, and Nigerians have been reacting.
According to him, even if he really cannot speak the language right now because it has been a long time he did, he definitely understands Yoruba.
He added that he lived in Lagos from when he was 6 till 13 so he surely has experiences in Nigeria that he’ll never forget.
David Oyetokunbo Oyelowo is a British actor and producer, who holds dual British and American citizenship.
His accolades include a Critics’ Choice Award, two Golden Globe Award nominations, and two Primetime Emmy Award nominations. In 2016, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his services to drama.
Oyelowo was born in Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, to Nigerian parents. His father is from Oyo State, Western Nigeria while his mother is from Edo State, Southern Nigeria. He was brought up as a Baptist.
He grew up in Tooting Bec, South London, until he was six, when his family moved to Lagos, Nigeria, where his father Stephen worked for the national airline and mother for a railway company. David attended a “‘military-style’ boarding school” while growing up in Lagos, Nigeria They returned to London when Oyelowo was fourteen, settling in Islington.
- DJ STiphBami – Beats and Juice (BJ 2021)
- Teni – Moslado (Pheelz Refix)
- Omah Lay – Understand (AMEME Remix)
- Flavour – Levels
- Alternate Sound & Dj Big N – Afro Jam Session 2021 [MixTape]
- DJ 4kerty – Focus Mixtape
- Zinoleesky – Gone Far
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Chike, Gyakie & Fiokee – Follow You
- Jamopyper – O Nana ft Olamide
- Naira Marley – First Time in America
- Mayorkun – Back in Office