Ever since he dropped the remix of Wizkid’s hit single ‘Ojuelegba‘ on his OVO Sound Radio, rapper Drake has kept mum on what inspired him to do it, until his latest feature in the 100th issue of FADER magazine.
Asked why he recorded the song with Skepta, if it was some attempt at “international outreach” and the desire to build audiences in foreign markets, Drake waved that notion away.
I just did it because I was in the moment. I wasn’t thinking like, ‘Oh man, I gotta get my brand up in Nigeria. Not to say that’s not important. I’m super-honored to be on that song.
And then Drake revealed that he first heard the song through Skepta and that Ojuelegba was so remarkable it forced him, like FADER puts it:
.. to rap in a way he’s never rapped before, to the extent that it takes him a couple of bars to find the swing of the beat. As soon as he does find it (it happens right as he’s singing Pree me, dem a pree me, Jamaican patois for “they’re watching me”) his vocals and the music click into place, and suddenly the song sounds like it could be a stateside hit.
- DJ Baddo – Best Of Fireboy Mix 2020
- Danny Boy – Come Over [AuDio + ViDeo]
- Dj Lahboceery – Abena Mix
- Dj Lahboceery – South Africa & Nigeria NonStop Mix
- Dj Lahboceery – Megamix Vol.2
- Timaya – Okaka
- Overall – Iyawo Mi [AuDio]
- Omah Lay – Confession [AuDio]
- WurlD – Chop N Pray [AuDio]
- Timaya – Something Must To Kill A Man
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Omah Lay – Godly [AuDio]