Fast rising Nigerian-American rapper Jidenna, 30, has been making waves in the entertainment industry recently.
He stepped into the limelight when he featured on Janelle Monae’s ‘Yoga’ video.
The ‘Classic man‘ crooner’s dashing good looks as well as his use of Ankara fabric in his outfits gained him a large followership.
Born to an American mother and Igbo father, Jidenna gave an interview on Vlad TV that made Nigerians on twitter go haywire.
According to Jidenna, he had to arm himself when he came to Nigeria for his dad’s burial because according to him, light skinned people are a target for kidnapping.
He dished on the struggles he faced as a light-skinned Nigerian-American saying: The fact that you have African blood in you is gonna make it hard,” his mother advised. What he didn’t realize was what was to come from his own ethnic group, as many people in his family are light-skinned. “When you’re light-skinned, you’re a heavier target for being kidnapped because you’re seen as more valuable,” he says in regards to Igbo people. “We were robbed – our family’s been assaulted,” Jidenna states. “We’ve had a lot of issues”.
According to Jidenna, his visit to his dad’s village Nigeria to bury his late father was a frightening experience “I had to bring a lot of AK-47s”, he recalled, since he was viewed by the other Igbo natives as a rich American.
Nigerians on Twitter violently responded to his interview
- DJ Spinall – Motivation Mix
- Asake – Mr Money (Remix) ft Zlatan & Peruzzi
- Nandy – Leo Leo ft Koffi Olomide
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- DJ HM – Best Of Omah Lay ft Bella Shmurda [MixTape]
- DJ Enimoney – G.O.A.T (Best Of Olamide) [Mixtape]
- Philkeyz, Yemi Alade & Bisa Kdei – Complicated [AuDio]
- Deejay J Masta – Amapiano Mix (Lagos To Jozi)
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Patoranking – I’m In Love [AuDio]
- Kizz Daniel – Flex [ViDeo]