Human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN) has come out to say that the National Assembly does not have the legislative competence to pass the controversial bill for the establishment of Hate Speech Commission.
He revealed this in a recent statement where he said hate speech is a residual matter, and the bill would infringe on the legislative autonomy of the state governments.
He vowed to challenge the constitutionality of the bill if it ends up getting passed by the National Assembly and signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari.
His words, “The power of the National Assembly to make laws for the peace, order and good governance of the federation of any part thereof cannot be exercised at large.
“By virtue of section 4 of the Constitution, the power of the National Assembly to make laws is limited to matters in the Exclusive Legislative and Concurrent Legislative Lists.
“To the extent that hate speech is not covered by both Legislative Lists the National Assembly cannot pass any hate speech bill.”
“Finally, even though the obnoxious bill is the initiative of a member of the House of Representatives, the Buhari administration has adopted it hook, line and sinker.
“The constitutional validity of the bill will certainly be challenged in the Federal High Court if it is passed by the National Assembly and assented to by President Buhari.”
- Tentik – Recognize Now or Famz Later MixTape
- Tiwa Savage – Dangerous Love [AuDio]
- Limbuzee – Big Dreams ft Erigga [AuDio]
- Simi – Duduke [AuDio]
- DJ Maphorisa & Wizkid – Good Love [ViDeo]
- David Jones David – Jingle Bell [AuDio]
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- Dj Lahboceery – South Africa & Nigeria NonStop Mix
- Erigga – AYEME ft Yungzee [AuDio + ViDeo]
- Sarz & Wizkid – Hold Me (Memories That Last Forever)