Yesterday, Nigeria was declared Africa’s biggest economy by officials. Even though this does little for the 70 percent of�our citizens living in poverty, it gives us continental bragging rights and our dear President Jonathan took to his Facebook page to make this announcement.
Yesterday, our Gross Domestic Product was rebased to give an accurate picture of where we are as a nation. I am glad to report to you that Nigeria is officially the largest economy in Africa with a Gross Domestic Product of $510 billion which also places us as the 26th largest economy in the world.
This feat is a collective achievement of all Nigerians particularly when you take into
account the fact that our Per Capita Income had increased by over 60% from $1091 in 2009 to $1700 in 2013, prior to the rebasing.
While this calls for celebration, I personally cannot celebrate until all Nigerians can feel the positive impact of our growth. There are still too many of our citizens living in poverty.
Three years ago, I was asked to define Transformation and I said “Transformation in my view simply means taking what you have and making the best of it and in so doing produce results that can bring about a paradigm shift”. That positive paradigm shift, as occurred yesterday, is still a work in progress.
Regardless of our present challenges, our place as a nation at the table of greatness is assured. GEJ.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Dj Baddo – Best of Mr Eazi and Tekno [MixTape]
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]
- Crayon – Jackpot ft Bella Shmurda
- Sauti Sol – Live and Die in Afrika [Album]
- Dj Baddo – Best Of Terry G [MixTape]
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- Burna Boy – Trap Symphony [AuDio]