He revealed this in his opening remarks at a public hearing on the bill today.
According to him, it is clear that the internet has had some negative influences on our lives as Nigerians, which is why some kind of regulation is required.
He added that all that is needed for resolution of conflicts is an understanding that will provide the way forward.
His words, “I am most pleased to be here for this important public hearing. This hearing is a crucial one because the bill has generated a lot of passion,”
The passion is not unexpected because the bill relates to the internet. The internet has become central to our lives, as it has reshaped how we live, work and how we interact.
“Like every other innovation, it has had its positive and negative sides. While it has somewhat made communication easier, faster and even cheaper, it has also affected our ability to easily trust some information.
“When this kind of situation arises, we should interrogate all the sides in the divides on a continuous basis. Doing this will lead to a better understanding of the dimensions and provide an agreeable way forward.
“It was for this reason that we were prompt in referring the protection from Internet Falsehood and Manipulations and for Related Matters Bill, 2019 (sb.132), to the relevant committee last November.”
NaijaVibe HoT DOWNLOAD
- DJ STiphBami – Beats and Juice (BJ 2021)
- Tems – Crazy Tings
- Olamide & Eskeez – Loose It
- Alternate Sound & Dj Big N – Afro Jam Session 2021 [MixTape]
- 2Baba – Searching ft Bongos Ikwue
- DJ Latitude, Soundz & Fireboy DML – Peru (Amapiano Remix)
- Skales – I Dey Miss You ft Imanse
- Tito Da.Fire – Kokoro [AuDio + ViDeo]
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- DJ 4kerty – Focus Mixtape
- L.A.X – Faster
- Jaywon – Las Last ft Seyi Vibez