He revealed this at Plenary as part of moves to commemorate the 2020 International Day of the Girl Child.
According to him, Nigeria is doing poorly when it comes to gender equality, so our young girls must be educated to enable them to be leaders of tomorrow.
He added that our women have to be protected from violence as well amid the several rape cases in the nation.
His words, “One day, very soon, this chamber will have fifty percent of female.”
“The country is doing very poorly in gender equality. Young girls should be educated to enable them be leaders of tomorrow.”
What do you think?
Ahmed Ibrahim Lawan (born 12 January 1959) is a Nigerian senator who serves as the President of the Senate of Nigeria. He represents Yobe North Constituency of Yobe State under the All Progressive Congress (APC). His tenure as a senator started since 2007 Nigeria general election.
In 2019, he emerged the new Senate President of the 9th National Assembly with 79 votes cast to beat Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume with 28 votes.
In 2015 Lawan ran for the senate president after APC zoned the position to the north eastern Nigeria based on the party’s power sharing formula among the six geo-political zones at the time. The zoning meant that only senators elected on the platform of the party (APC) from the six states in the north east could run for senate president.
After consultations with critical political stakeholders and senators elect from the north east, Lawan was endorsed and presented to the national leadership of the party who anointed him as the candidate of the party for senate president.
- DJ Baddo – Best Of Fireboy Mix 2020
- Ajebo Hustlers – Barawo (Remix) ft Davido [ViDeo]
- Dj Lahboceery – Abena Mix
- Dj Lahboceery – Megamix Vol.2
- Dj Lahboceery – South Africa & Nigeria NonStop Mix
- Danny S – O O (Original Ole) [AuDio]
- Terry Apala – We No Want Sars [AuDio]
- Yung Alpha & Ice Prince – Because Of iPhone [AuDio]
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- DJ Tunez – Pami ft Wizkid, Adekunle Gold & Omah Lay