One actress who really struggled for several years in Nollywood before she eventually got her big break is Halima Abubakar. She saw the challenges, faced them and eventually conquered.
But she said it no longer easy for up and coming actresses who are gifted but are not being allowed to prove themselves in the industry due to the high level tribalism of the Igbos who control the industry and are now making themselves lord over others.
See her complains below…
I have experienced tribalism, I know people would say it is a lie, but that is the truth. Why have those from a particular group not reached out to people who are not specifically from their areas?
I have worked with a lot of Igbos, my marketer is Igbo, I have worked with a lot of them and I know those I have not worked with, I have not seen the right roles for me yet, but I believe they will come.
But how about others, who are independently shooting movies, does that mean those are the only set of actors in Nollywood? I am not saying they should give me roles, but there are people who want to see fresh faces. We need to give others opportunity to showcase their talents.
I am saying, stop tribalism and bring everyone under the umbrella of AGN
- DJ 4kerty – Focus Mixtape
- Rema – Soundgasm
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- DJ Spinall – Motivation Mix
- TMP – KIZO ft Bella Shmurda
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- DJ Enimoney – G.O.A.T (Best Of Olamide) [Mixtape]
- Fanzy Papaya – ParacetaMoney
- Hanu Jay & Mayorkun – Insane
- Magnito – Phakama ft Mimi South & Iyanya
- L.A.X – Pepe ft Davido
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]