The Super Eagles of Nigeria will not be in Gabon for the 2017 edition of the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) because they just got knocked out by a lone goal to the Pharaohs of Egypt in Alexandria.
The Eagles went into the Alexandria game in dire need of a win but the resilient Pharaohs ensured that the 3-time champions miss out for the second consecutive edition.
Although, it was 0-0 at half time, the Egyptians always looked more likely to win the match having rattled the Nigerian defence on many occasions in the first half.
The Nigerians were limited to short passes, unable to convert their possession into attempts on goal. The second half saw the Pharaohs maintaining the momentum and finally got their goal in the 65th minute.
Even Eagles’ introduction of Alex Iwobi failed to produce the spark seen in the reverse leg in Kaduna and the Egyptians saw out the match to seal their qualification for the AFCON.
Disappointed Nigerians have taken to Twitter to lament.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Mr P & Tiwa Savage – I Do [AuDio]
- Rema – Ginger Me [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- BOJ – Emotions
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]
- Wizkid & Akon – Escape [AuDio]
- Diamond Platnumz – Simba [AuDio]