CAN recently revealed that Christians have always relied on the protection from God and not man, so the move is in order.
According to CAN’s General Secretary, Joseph Daramola, the recent directive would also help police operatives to spread their net and provide adequate security for the people.
The National Publicity Secretary of PFN, Bishop Emmah Isong, however, added that announcing the withdrawal of police from VIPs and religious leaders have security implications.
What do you think?
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) is an umbrella organisation containing numerous Christian denominations in Nigeria.
The Christian Association of Nigeria was founded in 1976, and originally only contained the Catholic Church and mainline Protestant groups. However, it later expanded to include Pentecostal churches as well.
In 2000, the CAN protested the adoption of Sharia law in northern states. In February 2006, while President of the organisation, Akinola issued a statement in response to Muslim violence against Christians, telling Muslims that they did not have a “monopoly on violence”.
The following day, Christians rioted in retaliation against Muslims, leading to more than 70 deaths. Akinola later claimed his statements had been misinterpreted in the western media. He even threatened to resign in case the riots should continue.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Mani LaPussh – xClusive
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Ice Prince – Kolo ft Oxlade [AuDio]
- Basketmouth – Pepper Soup ft Duncan Mighty & Ice Prince
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- DJ HM – Best Of Omah Lay ft Bella Shmurda [MixTape]
- Davido – Risky ft Popcaan [AuDio]
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]