Home » GIST » Woman dies of cholera after eating Abacha igbo salad in Lagos

Woman dies of cholera after eating Abacha igbo salad in Lagos


A newly married woman has passed away in Lagos State Nigeria after she contracted Cholera from a popular Igbo salad named Abacha.

The victim identified as Blessing passed away yesterday at the Military Hospital in Yaba Lagos just 2 weeks after her wedding.

Since last week Thursday when she contracted the deadly disease, doctors at the aforementioned hospital had been working tirelessly to save her life.

Blessing’s death has brought the no of cholera related death to 4 in Lagos since the outbreak 2 weeks ago.

She was said to have been admitted for cholera at the military hospital along with another victim who survived.

A source close to the deceased, who was in shock told P.M.NEWS that Blessing got married in September, 2013 and lost her life less than two months later to cholera.

The deceased was said to have eaten Abacha last Thursday night. It was bought by her husband, who did not know that the government had identified Abasha as one of the local salad cholera could be contracted from.

The two of them ate the salad but only the wife contracted cholera and died, while the husband has no trace of the disease.

It was gathered that after eating the salad, the couple went to bed and at about 2 a.m., Blessing was said to have suddenly woken up and started vomiting and stooling several times before day break.

She was rushed to a hospital in the area and when the case was becoming critical, she was taken to the Military Hospital, Yaba for proper attention.

It was learnt that the deceased was getting better and would have been discharged Monday, but was said to have suddenly developed another complication.

She was reported to have stooled four times at short notice, while the doctor treating her was said to have changed her medication, which later aggravated the case and she died.

There have also been reported cases of cholera in some parts o Lagos, P.M.NEWS learnt. Two pupils of Olumo Primary School, Onike, Iwaya area of Yaba were said to have contracted the disease.

At Meiran Primary Health Centre, Agbado-Oke-Odo on Monday, several children and adults with cases of serious stooling and vomiting were rushed to the centre. The doctor at the centre had a hectic day deciding whether the cases were cholera or not.


Follow NaijaVibe


Mani LaPussH – ExClusive

TareeQ – Medicine


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *