This is huge.. when Time Magazine puts you on any list, you know you are doing really great.
When it comes to indigenous rap as part of the Hip-Hop genre of music in Nigeria, Remilekun Abdulkalid Safaru is in the forefront of things. Better known by his moniker Reminisce, the rapper who’s generally known for interweaving Yoruba and English language in his lyrics was recently featured on Time Magazine’s website – the respected publication listed the street-theme rapper as one of seven ‘world rappers you should meet’.
The article ‘Forget Eminem: World Rappers You Should Meet’ was published on July 12, 2014 and focuses on seven interesting international rappers who are ‘increasingly at the center of the music scene’. They include Chord (Sweden), Salome MC (Iran), Bushido (Germany), Ogi (Brazil), Fabri Fibra (Italy), Huckleberry P (Korea) and Nigeria’s Reminisce. What TIME hasn’t told you is that Reminisce isn’t the only one bridging the gap when it comes to crossover Hip-Hop appeal in Nigeria – the likes of Olamide, Phyno and Ice Prince have also pushed Hip-Hop with Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa dialects respectively. Others include pioneers Lord of Ajasa, Mr Raw, Illbliss, Slow Dog and the late Dagrin.
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Simi – Duduke [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- 2Baba – Opo ft Wizkid [AuDio]
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- TripleMG – Osho ft Iyanya & Tekno [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Wizkid & Akon – Escape [AuDio]
- DJ Tunez – Pami ft Wizkid, Adekunle Gold & Omah Lay
- Phyno – Good Die Young [AuDio]