Shank says he is happy that dancehall music has an equal platform with other genres of music in Nigeria.
In an interview with Saturday Beats of the Saturday edition of The Punch, dancehall act Shank spoke about the acceptance of dancehall music by the mainstream in Nigeria over the last couple of years.
“I feel happy that finally, there is a platform for reggae artistes to be seen in the same light as any other secular act; so it is a win-win situation for me” said Shank.
He also went ahead to say that he is not envious of Patoranking’s success with the dancehall genre. “I can never be jealous of Patoranking. There is no envy at all” he stated.
Shank was the leading star of the dancehall scene with his smash hit in 2008 ‘Julie’. The dancehall’s act career has been unstable for most parts due to label issues.
“I have had my moment in the spotlight and when I was on top of my game, there was nobody around to contend with me. Right now, there are a lot of people doing dancehall music and it has become a movement. I don’t see it as if only one person is spearheading the reggae movement.
I like the fact that anybody that sings dancehall music would be listened to now” he said.
- DJ STiphBami – Beats and Juice (BJ 2021)
- Zinoleesky – Gone Far
- Chike, Gyakie & Fiokee – Follow You
- Alternate Sound & Dj Big N – Afro Jam Session 2021 [MixTape]
- Jamopyper – O Nana ft Olamide
- Mayorkun – Back in Office
- Naira Marley – First Time in America
- DJ 4kerty – Focus Mixtape
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Chike & Ada Ehi – Watching All Over Me
- Omah Lay – Understand (AMEME Remix)
- Teni – Moslado (Pheelz Refix)