Senator Elisha Abbo (Adamawa North – PDP) fully backs the controversial bill to regulate social media in Nigeria.
The ‘Protection from Internet Falsehood and Manipulation 2019’ bill passed second reading during plenary in the upper legislative chamber of the National Assembly on Wednesday, November 20, 2019.
As senators deliberated on the bill, Sen Elisha said the problem of fake news in Nigeria needs urgent attention.
His words, “The issue of fake news in this country, if it’s not regulated is a cancer waiting to consume all of us. Even conventional media that are regulated are suffering from falsehood.
“If we cannot regulate the spread of falsehood, it will consume all of us tomorrow.”
Senator Abba Moro also said, “Some of us in one way or the other have been victims of fake news. I rise to support this bill as it will protect the society.
“Today we know that America has risen up against fake news as it has had very terrible consequences in America.
“Fake news is dangerous, therefore Mr. President , we must rise to the challenge.”
Senator Chimaroke Nnamani (Enugu East – PDP) disagreed, “Based on our constitution that guarantees freedom of speech, there is a cyber crime act that deals with this.”
Do you agree?
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- DJ Spinall – Motivation Mix
- Philkeyz, Yemi Alade & Bisa Kdei – Complicated [AuDio]
- Patoranking – I’m In Love [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Kizz Daniel – Flex [ViDeo]
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Omah Lay – Godly [AuDio]
- Kizz Daniel – Currently ft Olamide, Falz & LK Kuddy
- DJ HM – Best Of Omah Lay ft Bella Shmurda [MixTape]
- Stefflon Don – Can’t Let You Go Remix ft Tiwa Savage & Rema