The Presidency has come out to say that failure to control what goes down on social media will result in more lawlessness, violence and deaths in the country.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, said this as he spoke to the Kawararafa Media Award on Sunday.
According to Shehu, the Federal Government is not against free speech, they only want to check the excesses.
His words, “All countries in the world are trying to make laws to check the excesses. Many countries are trying to control the situation. The Europeans have placed a new law that holds the companies responsible.
“In the United Kingdom, the parliament has received a report on social media. There is a youth addiction to it, just like cigarettes. Without any form of control, it has done harm to women, ethnic minorities, individuals, institutions and countries.”
“The federal government is saying that stakeholders should come together and agree on regulation. We know that no matter how bad the situation it favours someone.
“Some have argued that our constitution already has laws in libel, but the laws of the ‘60s never anticipated social media.
“No government has the right to muzzle freedom of speech. We don’t support the taking of lives as punishment. People insult others and share false information on social media. I hope that hate speech will be tackled so that Nigeria will be a safe place to live in.”
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- TripleMG – Osho ft Iyanya & Tekno [AuDio]
- Simi – Duduke [AuDio]
- DJ Tunez – Pami ft Wizkid, Adekunle Gold & Omah Lay
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- 2Baba – Opo ft Wizkid [AuDio]
- Wizkid & Akon – Escape [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – As E Dey Go [AuDio]
- Rexxie – O Por Remix ft Zlatan & LadiPoe [AuDio]