NBC recently revealed that this was the reason why some of them were fined for poor behavior after the protests.
According to the acting Director-General of the commission, Armstrong Idachaba, the airing of fake videos by TV stations during the protests was a very lackluster move, as only facts were needed at the time.
He added that the ethical burden is always on these stations to guarantee the validity of the information they are passing out, as their content is always key.
His words, “The onus is on the broadcaster to verify, not on the regulator.”
“We had to impose a sanction because we found out that in the coverage of the #EndSARS campaign that many broadcasters began to be reckless in the coverage of the crisis.
“You are the one that owns the platform, you are the disseminator of information. The ethical burden is on you to ensure that before you churn out, you do your check.
“Rather than come up with facts of the issues, we began to see deliberate distortions, manipulated storylines, fake infusions and intrusions into the narrative, graphic presentations that rather than help to reduce the situation more or less aggravated.
“We saw spurious claims, misrepresentation of facts and these are in clear violation of the provision of the broadcasting code. We began to wonder at that time whether broadcasters have totally abdicated their ethical requirements.”
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Seyi Shay & Yemi Alade – Pempe
- Ice Prince – Kolo ft Oxlade [AuDio]
- Naira Marley – Coming ft Busiswa
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Chidinma – Jehovah Overdo [AuDio + ViDeo]
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Tekno & Mafikizolo – Enjoy (Remix)