One of America’s most in-demand fashion designers has said he won’t dress the next First Lady of the United States, because she’s not his image and his clothes are too expensive for a First lady.
Tom Ford joined a cohort of designers who have suggested they will not work with Melania Trump, despite the fact she used to be a fashion model.
Mr Ford told hosts on US TV show the View:
�I was asked to dress her quite a few years ago and I declined.” “She’s not necessarily
my image,” he added.
When pressed, Mr Ford said he feels his clothes are “too expensive” for a first lady to wear, because a first lady has to be relatable to the US public.
Tom Ford’s designer wears were not ‘too expensive’ for the current first lady though. Michelle Obama wore a custom-made Tom Ford ivory evening gown in 2011, for a dinner with the royal family at Buckingham Palace. Ford even threw in a pair of gloves to round out Michelle’s look.
The price of the dress was never given since it was one-of-a-kind, but Ford’s gowns tend to start around $5,000, with many of his evening looks being priced in the five-figure range.
When asked to explain the apparent double standards, Tom said:
”Michelle I dressed once when she was going to Buckingham Palace for dinner with the Queen. I thought that was appropriate and I was honored.”
Tom first became famous in 1994 when he was named creative director of Gucci. The house was almost bankrupt at the time he took the reins, and within five years was valued at $4 billion (more than �3 billion).
Mrs Trump, the future first lady is believed to have been selecting and buying her own clothes online.
- Nandy – Leo Leo ft Koffi Olomide
- Asake – Mr Money (Remix) ft Zlatan & Peruzzi
- DJ Spinall – Motivation Mix
- Becky G & Burna Boy – Rotate
- Killertunes – Light Up ft Walshy Fire, Sha Sha & Like Mike
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- DJ HM – Best Of Omah Lay ft Bella Shmurda [MixTape]
- DJ Enimoney – G.O.A.T (Best Of Olamide) [Mixtape]
- Deejay J Masta – Amapiano Mix (Lagos To Jozi)
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Patoranking – I’m In Love [AuDio]