In a recent interview with City People magazine, the Mavin records boss Don Jazzy revealed the secret behind his hit songs.
When asked if he has the Midas touch, Jazzy replied saying he doesn’t know about the Midas touch but he understands the market.
In his words:
I don’t know about the Midas touch, but I think what it is, is that, I understand the market first, I also understand people to a large extent, the common problem with people in the industry is not really understanding the individuals they deal with, either the artist or their staff, I run a very beautiful organization where everyone is friend.
We are family, I don’t come and start using veto power, because I am the boss, the greatest idea might come from the little guy there.
So I listen to everybody and it works. As for music I try to experiment sometimes, but I don’t go out of the box to say I want to over experiment in a way that it is not what people want. If it is akara that you want to sell, it’s the akara that you will sell.
You don’t have to start putting jam inside akara. Then it’s not akara anymore, it is something else, the least you can do is to put small pepper to taste, you cannot now go over outside the box and say you want to put your name on top of the akara and stuffs like that. Over the years there has been the kind of music Nigerians like.
This is the kind of music my mother and my father dance to and their friends too, then we just stick to the formula and it works for us.
- Simi – Duduke [AuDio]
- 2Baba – Opo ft Wizkid [AuDio]
- DJ Tunez – Pami ft Wizkid, Adekunle Gold & Omah Lay
- Burna Boy – RockStar (Reggae version) [AuDio]
- DJ Kaywise – What Type Of Dance ft Mayorkun, Naira Marley & Zlatan
- Dj Highbee – Best Of Wande Coal [MixTape]
- Dj Baddo – Best of Mr Eazi and Tekno [MixTape]
- Phyno – Good Die Young [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- DJ Maphorisa & Wizkid – Good Love [ViDeo]