Dbanj who was one of the panelist discussing the topic, ‘Changing The Game: Artistes As Leaders’ at the 2018 Social Media Week Lagos, said music record label owners in Nigeria know nothing about the music business.
He said further that one of the challenges confronting the growth of Nigerian Music Industry is that Nigerian artistes lack capacity building.
“Most of the new generation record labels are founded by Yahoo boys. You must understand first, why are you coming into music.
“Nigerian artistes need a lot of capacity building. It is only in Nigeria that the owner of a record label doesn’t know anything about music.”
The Oliver Twist crooner also explained how he ventured into music, attributing it to the fear of poverty.
Despite hitting some people in the music industry hard, Dbanj encouraged young and upcoming artistes about building their brand.
According to him, being a brand is not a day’s job it is a daily and deliberate effort that involves evolving.
“Just like any product, you must always evolve. The fear of being poor made me think outside the box. This is one of the factors that drove me into music,” he said.
Dbanj speaking during the SMW
Also known as Eja Nla (Big Fish) by his fans, Dbanj is ready to swim in the digital space where he believes the future lies.
He called on business owners and investors to promote Nigerian music through collaborations and partnership.
NaijaVibe HoT DOWNLOAD
- DJ Kaywise – Cheers To 2022 Mix
- Rexxie & Lil Frosh – Won Yabo
- White Money & Zoro – Na We We
- Afrobank Music & Tiwa Savage New Year Mix with DJ Promtwist
- D’banj – Face Show ft Skiibii & HollyHood Bay Bay
- DJ 4kerty – Zazoo MixTape
- DJ STiphBami – Beats and Juice (BJ 2021)
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Mavin ft Crayon, Ayra Starr, LADIPOE, Magixx & Boy Spyce – Overdose
- Zinoleesky – Loving You
- Burna Boy – Last Last
- Spinall & Asake – Palazzo