Mr. Olusegun Afolayan, the NEMA Head of Operations, in charge of Ondo and Ekiti revealed this during an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ado-Ekiti.
According to him, adhering to environmental laws in the state will avert the habit of dumping refuse on waterways, canals and drainage systems and building on flood plains in Nigeria.
He added that Nigerians must know that flood is a natural disaster and citizens must ensure the predictions from NiMET, NIHSA do not come to pass.
His words, ”Flood is a natural disaster, we can only take preventive measures to avert it and in case it happens, to ensure the impact is less, that is the reason for this exercise.
“There is a need to clear all the refuse dumped in the gutters so that water will flow properly and thoroughly. We saw some canals where refuse was dumped.”
”We have to notify Ekiti State Environmental Protection Agency to clear those wastes that were dumped in such canals.”
”Government should also embark on the sensitisation of the communities by disseminating information on the ills of indiscriminate dumping of refuse in the gutters or surrounding environments.
“This is to avoid the flood disaster predicted by NiMET, NIHSA and NEMA.”
- DJ Baddo – All Of Me Remix ft John Legend [AuDio]
- Fireboy DML – Vibration [AuDio]
- Wizkid – Wizzy Baby [AuDio]
- Rema – Woman [AuDio]
- Ice Prince – Kolo ft Oxlade [AuDio]
- Deejay J Masta – Boogie Down Mixtape
- Masterkraft & Phyno – Egbon
- Chiké – Forever (Gyakie Cover)
- Naira Marley – Koleyewon
- Naira Marley – Coming ft Busiswa
- Crayon – Jackpot ft Bella Shmurda
- Kizz Daniel – Madu [AuDio]