He revealed this in Gusau where he moderated a paper titled “The role of universities in nation-building” presented by Dr. Usman Bugaji at the maiden convocation of the Federal University, Gusau.
According to him, the situation of things in the North will not change if this culture does not stop.
He added that if the people of the North should fail to heed his advice, drug abuse, Boko Haram, banditry and unemployment in that part of Nigeria will continue to rise.
His words, “There are people who cannot afford to feed one wife but are ready to marry three wives and have more children than they cannot feed, talk less of paying for their school fees?
“The poverty level of the north is 80 per cent; while in the south, the percentage is 20 per cent, simply because of the culture of marrying many wives and producing many children who, at the end, are left on the streets to beg for what to eat.”
“The issues we have today such as drug abuse, Boko Haram, banditry and unemployment would be nothing compared to what we will be dealing with in the next 20 or 30.”
Do you agree?
- 2Face Idibia – GO ft Machel Montano [AuDio]
- Darlene – Thank You [AuDio]
- Olamide & Pro Whizzie – Bariga Vs Agege [AuDio]
- Dotman – Yes Melo (Remix) ft Olamide [AuDio]
- Terry Tha Rapman – Pepper Soup Freestyle ft Joe Spazm [AuDio]
- Lil Jojo – Dem Say ft Jaywon [AuDio]
- King Josh – Good Looking ft Iyanya [ViDeo]